IS-IS Error (FRR)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Apr 19 00:46:40 UTC 2020

So we've been discussing this on Slack.

It seems the packet handlers for IS-IS in FRR and how they work on
FreeBSD is not completely optimized (not an issue on Linux).

FRR-based IS-IS on FreeBSD is sending PSNP's that are 6,020 bytes large.
However, FreeBSD's BPF (Berkeley Packet Filter) has a packet data limit
of 4,096 bytes. This is what is causing the error.

While it is possible to set the IIH MTU in FRR with the "lsp-mtu"
command, there is not way to set the PSNP MTU.

In short, IS-IS on FRR does not understand that there is an MTU limit
for PSNP's on FreeBSD.

I'm working with the IS-IS FRR team, but as of now, no idea on if/when
there will be a fix for this.

While routes are being successfully exchanged between FRR and Cisco IOS
XE for IS-IS, this is a show-stopper! So for the moment, I cannot
recommend anyone runs IS-IS on FRR in production.

As it stands, it appears that this is the only thing standing in the way
of a successful deployment, as far as simple Anycast services go.

Will keep you all posted as this develops.

Mark.