UDP/123 policers & status

Harlan Stenn stenn at nwtime.org
Fri Apr 17 10:07:21 UTC 2020

On 4/17/2020 2:01 AM, Ragnar Sundblad wrote:

> I thought we were talking about control traffic.

I expect there will be a TCP control traffic option.

I expect there will continue to be a UDP control traffic option.

These are "mechanisms", there will be a reasonable default policy (that
will change and evolve over time), and there will be a mechanism to
allow the local admins to implement their local policy choices.

> If you want to do some NTP time comparison mode with larger responses
> than requests, I agree that TCP is likely not a good option.

I still don't see why, in the general case, some here think we must
force a smaller request packet to be padded just so a possibly larger
response packet will provide no amplification.

Basic packets are of a known and identical size.  Before the 7822
braindamage (my opinion of 7822), EFs *required* MACs.  Post 7822 they
don't, but even so, if people implement EFs and don't include (disable?)
"protection" they've pretty much made their choice.  But we're speaking
in generalities here.

What new or proposed packet content would trigger a larger response that
would not require an authenticated request in the first place?

And I just realized this is the NANOG list and not the NTP list, so I'm
happy to stop.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at nwtime.org>