BIRD / BGP-ORR experiences?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Apr 16 12:28:22 UTC 2020

On 15/Apr/20 17:51, Deepak Jain wrote:

> How is this approach working for you?

It's working out beautifully, since 2014.

We wanted ORR at the time, but it was immature, so this was our only option.

Yes, it's an old school approach, but it's simple, so we don't have to
enable any trickery.

>  We were considering BGP ORR on bare metal (maybe a VM if we can get OSPF into the VM) and putting a primary RR at each eBGP node (physical site) and at least one link to a backup RR at a different site, perhaps enabling BGP ORR for that to minimize suboptimal paths.
>
> Adding a VM or a server node for this function is hardly the technical challenge it used to be with so many linux-based white box switches and things running around nowadays.

Well, our RR's run on ESXi (Cisco CSR1000v), but I'm sure your favorite
hypervisor will work just fine. Your main concern is whether you want to
run an established code base (Cisco, Juniper, Nokia, e.t.c.), or if you
want to run something more open source. We chose the former considering
our iBGP is a critical piece of infrastructure.

Mark.