Constant Abuse Reports / Borderline Spamming from RiskIQ

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Wed Apr 15 12:49:46 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 12:11:44PM -0700, Matt Corallo via NANOG wrote:
> I don???t really get the point of bothering, then. AWS takes about
> ~forever to respond to SES phishing reports, let alone hosting abuse,
> and other, cheaper, hosts/mailers (OVH etc come up all the time) don???t
> bother at all. Unless you want to automate ???1 report = drop customer???,
> you???re saying that we should all stop hosting anything?

No, you don't have to stop hosting anything/everything.  But there are
all kinds of things that can be done to detect problematic customers
before you sign them up and once they're in place.  None of those
things are panaceas but all of them done in combination (a) reduce
the chances that you'll have a mess to clean up later and (b) enhance
one's reputation as a place NOT to go for dubious activities, which
in turn discourages future miscreants from trying to get in the door.

---rsk