Traffic destined for 100.114.128.0/24

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Apr 8 18:54:46 UTC 2020

On 4/8/20 2:42 PM, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’ve noticed over the past couple of weeks that some hosts on a network
> I manage appear to be trying to reach hosts in this network 100.114.128.0/24
>
> It’s an IANA reserved block but I’m really not sure what it’s used for.
> I just notice it keeps coming up but it doesn’t have a route.
>
> Has anyone else been seeing this?

This is part of the RFC6598 space for carrier-NAT deployments.  If
you're seeing traffic inbound to your network to those addresses,
someone's presumably got a default toward you and a hole in their
internal routing table.  If you're seeing traffic outbound toward those
addresses, some of your customers have somehow picked up a configuration
expecting some sort of service there.

Inbound traffic toward your network from or to those addresses is
effectively a bogon.  Outbound traffic from/to those addresses means you
have a misconfiguration somewhere (presumably unintentional and perhaps
some poorly behaved automatic config on a CPE).
--
Brandon Martin