IS-IS on FRR - Is Anyone Running It?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Apr 6 05:51:53 UTC 2020

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 at 11:07, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> plane, we manually set IS-IS to operate at 8,000 bytes. This is due to
> VMware's limitation to address an MTU larger than 9,000, and we use it
> to run CSR1000v for our route reflector. So globally, our IS-IS domain
> runs 8,000 bytes.

I'm not sure what 'globally our IS-IS domain runs 8000 bytes' means.
Your LSP MTU is like 1492B, there isn't a mechanism to fragment and
reassemble LSP in-transit. ISIS network doesn't support different MTU
sizes and I've not heard anyone being brave enough to increase LSP MTU
above 1492B.
The only thing that is larger in your network is hellos, and I'm not
even sure how that works, considering 802.3 cannot signal larger
frames than 1500B.

--
  ++ytti