The Cost of Paid Peering with Chinese ISPs

Pengxiong Zhu pzhu011 at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 1 19:54:42 UTC 2020

Sorry we didn’t know this is out of scope. What do you mean by baiting
questions? We are not very familiar with the peer protocol, so we don’t
know what questions can be discussed here or not. We are researches, we
just want to dig more to the cause of the slowdown that we observed. And we
thought those questions are okay to ask here, which are not. But we don’t
want bait anyone.

Sorry about the lack of knowledge of what can be discussed here.

Pengxiong

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 12:34 PM Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This topic is out of scope for the list. Please stop emailing these
> baiting questions.
>
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 12:27 PM Pengxiong Zhu <pzhu011 at ucr.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> We got plenty of positive responses in our last email regarding China's
>> slow transnational network. Many are suggesting it is likely influenced by
>> commercial decisions instead of censorship. It seems like the three Chinese
>> ISPs don't really have enough peering internationally in Asia, and they
>> have very strong bargaining power when it comes to peering.
>>
>> Some suggest the cost of moving data to China is way lower if an ISP
>> peers with US/European ISPs than directly with the Chinese ISPs. We assume
>> the reason why those US/European ISPs offer cheaper prices is that they
>> have settlement-free peering with Chinese ISPs. However, the "free-tier"
>> capacity is simply not enough to handle the demand -- the US/European ISPs
>> now have way more traffic going into China, thus saturating the link and
>> causing congestion.
>>
>> So we are wondering, do the Tier-1 US/European ISPs really have
>> settlement-free peering with Chinese ISPs? If we want to do paid peering
>> directly with the Chinese ISPs or purchase the full/partial transit, what
>> is the price range?
>>
>> From the BGP information, we know some of the peers of AS4134 (the
>> biggest one) are:
>> - Telia Carrier(AS1299)
>> - Cogent Communications(AS174)
>> - NTT Communications (America)(AS2914)
>> - Level3(AS3356)
>> - Tata Communications(America) Inc (AS6453)
>> - Verizon Business/UUnet(AS701)
>> - Zayo Bandwidth(AS6461)
>> - AT&T Services, Inc.(AS7018)
>> - GTT Communications Inc.(AS3257)
>> - Comcast Cable Communications, LLC(AS7922)
>>
>> It would be much appreciated if the operators of any such networks can
>> give chime in. Thanks!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pengxiong Zhu
>> University of California, Riverside