[nanog] BGP routes by country

Michel Py michel.py at tsisemi.com
Thu Sep 26 22:05:58 UTC 2019

> Christopher Morrow wrote :
> Maybe asking from the get-go:  "What are you trying to do?"

Indeed.

> because the question asked is fraught with peril and disaster...

Allowing only US and Canada will be be a manual whitelist nightmare and will likely result in some unreachability.

A while ago, I tried to block China. The attack profile lowered a little bit, but I did not feel my network was safer. Looks kind of futile to me.
The bots are everywhere, blocking entire countries does not reduce the risk much.

I totally believe in the "my network, my rules" thing though. I do not provide Internet access to the public so what I deliver is my call.
At any given time I blacklist between 30K and 100K prefixes, motsly /32s.
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/cbbc/

Michel.

TSI Disclaimer:  This message and any files or text attached to it are intended only for the recipients named above and contain information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not forward, copy, use or otherwise disclose this communication or the information contained herein. In the event you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, and then delete all copies of it from your system. Thank you!...