Elad Cohen (was: Re: Cogent sales reps who actually respond)

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 17:25:15 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 11:43 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 7:58 AM Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What I'm asking is: "there is already repair for the harmed parties,
>> if they are not taking advantage of this then I don't think we need to
>> spend more time on this topic"
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> I respectfully disagree with the assertion that "there is already repair." Getting an entity

cool! :)

> on the other side of the planet whose front-line contacts don't speak your language to
> correct local configuration overrides associated with your address space turns out to be
> a hard task. Getting several hundred entities

Sure,  getting in touch can be rough.
1) publish ROA for your prefixes
2) call upstream and have them note the presence of the ROA
3) done

it's always a tad more complex, and in situations where actual traffic
loss is occurring this
is frustrating to deal with :( but... These are the tools available.
Shouting into the wind (nanog)
really isn't helping, and I'd argue that in this particular case the
'original owners[tm]' don't know
and probably don't even care.

Of course, the above 3 step process does mean that:
  o You have the RIR credentials to do the RPKI dances.
  o You actually noticed the problem.
  o Where in the world waldo (or your prefixes) appeared mattered to you

I think in the cases outlined so far here, these three are missing and
arguably not important to the
'original owner[tm]' of the space/blocks.

> to do so, because they've all acted independently in response to the problem with your
> address space, is functionally insurmountable. It victimizes the folks whose addresses
> were stolen beyond repair.

In this case I don't think 'stolen' is important... sadly these spaces
went fallow and were lost in time :(
having dealt with many cases of this for my current/past employer I'm
sensitive to the problem :( and
have had good/bad dealings with folks with problems like this... The
tools do exist, we should all use
them.

> Regards,
> Bill Herrin