rr.level3.net on autopilot?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 10 01:04:12 UTC 2019

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Jon Lewis wrote:

> I was doing some IRR clean-up and after a few successful updates, I'm no
> longer able to alter or delete our objects in rr.level3.com.
>
> Emails to rpsl at level3.com result in no action and no response.  I've tried
> reaching out to the Level3 (Centurylink) NOC via email and phone, and can't
> seem to find anyone who knows what rr.level3.com is, much less knows who to
> talk to about troubleshooting.  Anyone know who (if anyone) keeps the wheels
> spinning on the Level3 IRR?

I was going to post this morning that things are all sorted out.
Centurylink's IP Admin reached out and worked with me to figure out the
issue, which appears to have been that someone a few layers up from
rpsl at level3.com cranked their spam filtering up to 11, resulting in all
externally originated email getting eaten somewhere in their systems.

Before posting, I ran one more test, and found that there's still
something not quite right.  We worked together again today, trying to
figure it out, but ended up giving up for now.

Mail from my personal system and from a Linux server at work both get
delivered and processed properly.  Mail from my work email
Outlook/Microsoft/Mimecast gets delivered to Level3.com, but the IRRD
system fails to find any objects in the body and responds that no object
was found.  Yes, it's being sent as plain text (Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=UTF-8).  Sending the same message from work to my personal
address, then taking that, changing To: and playing the entire thing (all
the headers + body) through sendmail -oi -t on a Linux server at work, it
gets delivered and properly processed.

So, anyone else who's had trouble the past 2 weeks getting anything
processed by rpsl at level3.com, you should be able to at least get your
messages delivered now.  I'm curious if any other Office365/Outlook.com
users have issues with rpsl at level3.com not finding any objects in your
updates.  If you're having that problem, resend your message via another
mail system and see if that works for you too.