BGP Enabled transit in Chicago (River North) and equipment recommendation

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Tue Sep 3 18:19:04 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 12:44 PM ADNS NetBSD List Subscriber <nanog2 at adns.net>
wrote:

> Also, we’d like to ditch our 3640 router in favor of a smaller “desktop”
> size router, but none of them seem to do BGP (not surprising).  Any
> recommendations on hardware would be welcome as well

I can think of lots of smaller, even desktop sized routers that have no
problem doing BGP assuming you're only taking a single transit circuit and
only accepting a default route from your upstream provider. Ubiquiti's
tiniest EdgeRouters which cost around $100 will do BGP just fine under
those circumstances if you're not pushing tons of traffic or pps. If you
want something a little nicer/fancier, you can get a Juniper SRX (probably
a 300, 320, or 345 depending on how much bandwidth you're going to use). If
you want to run multiple transits and take full tables, then at that point
I'd recommend going a bit bigger: maybe a Juniper MX or a Cisco ASR. But
even the higher-end Ubiquiti EdgeRouter series products can handle full
tables if you understand and accept their limitations in doing so if budget
is a huge concern but you still need to take full tables.

Take care,
Matt