Weekly Routing Table Report

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Tue Sep 3 13:32:18 UTC 2019

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 10:35:39 +0000
Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> If you can't accept the following principle of the End to End
> argument:

I think it is better to stick with what the paper refers to them e2e as,
an argument. The e2e paper is by far one of the closest things we
have to network canon and its reasoning is exceptionally simple and
compelling.  Yet, these are arguments, not laws.  Even the original
authors have revisited and questioned the original ideas.

The paper also says something about needing a great deal of system
implementation detail to intelligently make the choice of where to
place functions.  I like pointing that out, because it seems people
often miss this part in the paper where the only form of the word
intelligence is ever used in the paper.

Note, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any particular position
about multihoming in this thread, just trying to argue that the e2e
paper is a lot more nuanced than is often presented in debates
especially since it has often been used to support opposing views.  :-)

John