Mx204 alternative

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Mon Sep 2 08:52:38 UTC 2019

On 9/2/19 4:49 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:
> That said, in the Metro, we don't generally support LAG's toward
> customers because getting policing to work reliably on them is
> difficult. So we wouldn't hit this issue, although I can see how
> annoying it would be for networks that prefer to do this.

I try to avoid them in customer-facing applications, too.  And in
intra-network situations, I don't know why you'd be LAGging 1Gbps links
anymore.

But yeah, MX204 and similar LCs on the chassis platforms have some
bizarre port usage/speed limitations.  Juniper has a little web page to
validate your port configurations, but it still seems easy to hit
gotchas like this.
--
Brandon Martin