Weekly Routing Table Report

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Sep 1 01:27:49 UTC 2019

> On Aug 31, 2019, at 05:04, Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> However, since you don’t like Comcast, let’s try another one that has
>> few (if any) mergers involved:
>
> I don't think so.

Care to expand on this?

>> AS6939 — 125 prefixes...
>
> Are you spamming?

No... HE has not acquired a significant number of other businesses to the best of my knowledge.

>> Admittedly some of this appears to be TE routes, but compare with:
>> 2001::/32 2001:470::/32 2001:470:1A::/48 2001:DF2:7900::/48
>
> If you are saying some merger happened before v6 transition,
> which explains why there are less v6 prefix than v4, I can agree
> with you.
>
> But, so what?

To the best of my knowledge, HE transitioned to v6 very early in their history, so I tend to doubt it.

>>> Without automatic renumbering, IPv6 is of no help against mergers.
>> Merging 10 organizations each of whom have 27 IPv6 prefixes = 270
>> prefixes. Merging 10 organizations each of whom have 125 IPv4
>> prefixes = 1250 prefixes.
>
> The number of prefixes by swamp is recognized to be not a problem
> even when we were discussing it in 1998 when there was only less
> than 50000 prefixes.

>> Yeah, not quite the whole story in that one word… Let's look at what
>> is driving that increase in "multihoming"…
>
> OK. You admit that the problem is caused by multihoming. OK.

No, I admit multihoming is one of several factors.

>>> I don't think I must explain the current routing practice here.
>> You don’t need to explain the current routing practice, but if you
>> want to be taken seriously, simply assuming that every possible /24
>> in IPv4 and/or every possible /48 in IPv6 will be eventually
>> advertised is a case of reductio ad absurdum. I was trying to give
>> you a chance to provide a better argument for your position.
>
> I don't think I need such chance as my argument is already good enough.

We can agree to disagree about this as is usually the case.

>> While I appreciate that you enjoy speaking to people in condescending
>> tones, looking at the history and current trends shows that we are in
>> a period where Moore's law is leveling off.
>
> I'm afraid you are not very familiar with semiconductor technology
> trend.

Repeating your condescending statement doesn’t make it any more accurate the second time.

Owen