FCC Takes Steps to Enforce Quality Standards for Rural Broadband

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Oct 31 17:42:57 UTC 2019

There is just so much I want to make sarcastic comments about, but I worry
about offending future potential employers (all of them).

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-takes-steps-enforce-quality-standards-rural-broadband-0

FCC Takes Steps To Enforce Quality Standards For Rural Broadband Networks
and Also Provides Additional Flexibility to Reduce Burden on Companies

[...]

of an earlier bureau- level Performance Measure Order, the FCC today
maintained the existing requirement that carriers conduct quarterly speed
and latency tests between specified numbers of active subscribers’ homes
and the Internet, and made targeted modifications to the testing
procedures, including:

- Modifying the schedule for commencing testing by basing it on the
deployment obligations specific to each Connect America Fund support
mechanism;

- Implementing a new pre-testing period that will allow carriers to
become familiar with testing procedures without facing a loss of support
for failure to meet the requirements;

- Allowing greater flexibility to carriers in identifying which customer
locations should be tested and selecting the endpoints for testing
broadband connections.