California network infrastructure status (FCC)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Oct 29 19:30:06 UTC 2019

>From the DIRS FCC report for October 29, 2019

https://www.fcc.gov/document/ca-power-shutoff-communications-status-report-oct-29-2019

Cable and wireline services (combined):

223,937 subscribers out of service, down from 454,722 yesterday.  I assume this
only includes outages due to loss of outside plant and hub offices. It does not
included Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) outages due to loss of power at the
subscriber's premises.

Broadcast services:

21 FM radio stations reported out of service, with 2 FM radio stations
programming carried on another station

3 AM radio stations reported out of service

No TV stations reported out of service (I have seen twitter reports of at least
one TV station off the air)

Most broadcasters are not reporting (up or down).

Wireless services

463 cell sites out of service of 26,120 sites in all reporting counties.

Top 5 counties by percentage out of service:
1. Marin County: 35.4% out of service (95 out of 268 sites)
2. Calaveras County: 32.6% out of service (14 out of 43 sites)
3. Sonoma County: 22.4% out of service (95 out of 424 sites)
4. Napa County: 15.6% out of service (20 out of 128 sites)
5. Lake County: 13.0% out of service (7 out of 54 sites)