IPv4 and Auctions

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Mon Oct 28 14:22:29 UTC 2019

On 10/27/19 12:47 PM, Michel Py wrote:

>>> Michel Py wrote :
>>> What I like with Hilco is that it brings transparency to the market. I think that each transfer should list the amount of the
>>> transaction between parties. For example, I would like to know for how much 44.192/10 went.

The parties to transactions probably protect that data in the same way
they protect how much they paid for their routers, software licenses,
and payroll.

>> Owen DeLong wrote :
>> If you really feel that this should be data the RIRs collect during transfers and that it should be published, I suggest you submit a proposal
>> for this into the ARIN policy development process. If you need help doing so, feel free to ask me or any other member of the AC.
> I think the result should be simple, a .csv file containing an entry for each prefix transferred :
> Date, size, price, origin RIR, resulting RIR.
> Something like https://auctions.ipv4.global/prior-sales but covering all transactions, not only ipv4.global ones.
> Transparency on transfer prices.

Other than price, each of the RIRs publishes all of that information in
a daily transfers report. Maybe JSON instead of CSV, and they don't all
use the same dictionary, but it's public.

Anyone can list blocks on auctions.ipv4.global, and the transaction will
be included in our prior-sales report. Even private transactions can be
run through the site, with the side benefit of including the transaction
in that report.

Some brokers use the platform when they have a buyer who needs space and
they don't have the right block, or they have a seller and want broader
reach. If other brokers, buyers, or sellers were interested in
publishing their transaction data, we'd happily do it.

> What do you think about it ? a two-prong question :
>
> - As yourself ? is it desirable for the community  in your opinion ?
>
> - As AC member ? Does it have any chance to be approved by the AC ?
>
> I would submit a proposal if it has some chances to pass; I don't want to lose the time of the AC if it's going to be deep-sixed right away.

This Thursday afternoon, at the end of the ARIN public policy meeting,
is open mic time. If you want to float an idea to get the community's
first impression, that's a pretty good time.

Lee