IPv4 and Auctions

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Oct 27 20:46:21 UTC 2019

> On Oct 27, 2019, at 09:47 , Michel Py <michel.py at tsisemi.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Owen,
>
>> Owen DeLong wrote :
>> So ARIN doesn’t actually rent the right to use an apartment so much as a recording of the fact
>> that certain entities agree that your name goes on the door of said apartment.
>
> Correct, but in the end I still have the apartment for very cheap, good enough for me.
> If a squatter tries to use it, good chances are that community efforts, not ARIN because ARIN is not the police, will lead to me retaining the use of it.
>

>>> Michel Py wrote :
>>> What I like with Hilco is that it brings transparency to the market. I think that each transfer should list the amount of the
>>> transaction between parties. For example, I would like to know for how much 44.192/10 went.
>
>> Owen DeLong wrote :
>> If you really feel that this should be data the RIRs collect during transfers and that it should be published, I suggest you submit a proposal
>> for this into the ARIN policy development process. If you need help doing so, feel free to ask me or any other member of the AC.
>
> I think the result should be simple, a .csv file containing an entry for each prefix transferred :
> Date, size, price, origin RIR, resulting RIR.
> Something like https://auctions.ipv4.global/prior-sales but covering all transactions, not only ipv4.global ones.
> Transparency on transfer prices.
>
> What do you think about it ? a two-prong question :

I’m not super enthusiastic about it one way or the other, to be honest. I wouldn’t oppose a policy favoring market transparency,
but I doubt it will achieve significant support from the rest of the community and I’m sure there will be vocal opposition.

> - As yourself ? is it desirable for the community  in your opinion ?

I think it could offer some benefit to the community. OTOH, I can also understand why some entities prefer to keep their financial
data private. I’m honestly somewhat ambivalent about where the balance should be struck here between privacy and transparency.

> - As AC member ? Does it have any chance to be approved by the AC ?

That’s not really a valid question, IMHO. I think anything which garners significant support in the community has a chance to be
approved by the AC. We are representatives of the community. I can’t speak for other AC members, but I will say that I do sometimes
find myself voting on the AC in a manner that does not reflect my personal views because I have seen clear indication from the
community that the will of the community differs from my personal opinion.

> I would submit a proposal if it has some chances to pass; I don't want to lose the time of the AC if it's going to be deep-sixed right away.

The only way a proposal gets deep-sixed by the AC right away is if it is out of scope or has an unclear problem statement.

After that, the AC only abandons proposals that have received significant opposition from the community and which the AC does not believe
have will ever reach consensus within the community.

> Side question more towards John or the ARIN staff, how much work is that going to be to implement ?

Some questions likely necessary for John or staff to answer:

	Which classes of transfers would you apply this to?
	8.2 (M&A)?
	8.3 (Specified Transfers within the ARIN region)
	8.4 (Inter-RIR transfers to/from ARIN)
		Inbound only?
		Outbound only?
		Both?

What about 8.4 transfers where the party not in the ARIN region insists on a confidentiality agreement about pricing? How far
do you want to extend the ARIN policy into affecting the behavior of suppliers and/or recipients in other regions?

Owen