Couple of questions about "baremetal/ONIE" networking equipment sellers

Nick ten Cate nick at openfiber.nl
Sat Oct 26 14:05:44 UTC 2019

Hi Mike/Drew,

We also have lots of experience with FS.com switches; however.. One thing
we noticed really quick is that its better to order 1 and to find the
actual supplier and order with them directly. FS.com is a reseller; and
they will switch (no pun intended) supplier almost yearly. Real technical
support is nonexistent (even though they claim it is great) and I have yet
to have a single bug fixed; packet dumps and steps to reproduce included. I
have removed all of our *N*5850-48S6Q due to bugs in software lockups.

Their current *S*5850-48S6Q is developed by Centec Neworks (
http://www.centecnetworks.com/en/SolutionList.asp?ID=91  ) and is
the E580-48X6Q (compare the changelog and manual; you will see its a
"replace all" job). These switches do actually support LDP/MPLS/VPLS if you
buy the license and run them in their 'ipran' profile. Feel free to contact
me off list if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Nick ten Cate