BGP over TLS

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 06:07:40 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 9:33 AM <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:

> [...]

sounds right, yes.
There's at least 1 BCP that talks about this... and some BCOP's from
ripe/nanog as well I think?

> > > So move from bilateral peering over common IX-LAN to direct peering Or
> > > if a direct link is still not to be trusted do MACSEC.
> > > Then it's all about you and the peer -if he/she screws you over de-peer.
> >
> > and it burning a 100g port on a chassis for ~1g (or less) of traffic is
> > worthwhile...
> Sure cause the usual math is if I have 100G to IX LAN which is half empty then going direct means 100G x number of peers I'd like to move to direct peering...

Sorry, I skipped a sentence figuring it wasn't worth typing, but ...
"100g is the new 10g which was the new 1g ... and on 100g platforms
you often don't get 1g as well... it's harder to delivery 10G (almost)
than 100g :( "

So default at the edge is moving to 100g for some folk

> > there's lots of variables here... options are nice to have... better security for
> > /not just my IX/ bgp would be nice too :)
>
> Well yes I do agree with that statement on a sentimental level almost.
>
> But pragmatically I'd have to ask what big of a problem is BGP over TLS going to solve and how much would it cost.
> Ideally the solution would tick all these 3 together:
> 1) it's a panacea (solves all aspects of the problem),
> 2) it's zero effort (development and getting it to the network)
> 3) it solves a huge problem, (operators are struggling with the effects of this problem on a daily bases)

sure... I don't have a cogent answer to all of these, but if you
believe there's a need for authentication /  integrity / privacy on
some/all of your BGP sessions, you probably want:
  1) something that rotates regularly instead of static md5 would be great
       because everyone's md5 secret is public, regardless of your
efforts to secure that data :(

  2) something that doesn't require operator interference to
enable/rotate/manage would be nice
      one main complaint about md5 is it's very hard to setup
reliably, folk don't record the keys, etc.
       "argh, peer didn't come up, rm-rf-key.. look working now!"
      making that more straightforward and less error prone would be good.

  -chris