U.S. Senate: READI Act 2019 re-introducted

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Oct 24 23:01:45 UTC 2019

U.S. Senators Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) and John Thune (R-S.D.)
reintroduced the Reliable Emergency Alert Distribution Improvement (READI)
Act today (October 24, 2019).

The READI Act would:
[...]
Explore establishing a system to offer emergency alerts to audio and video
online streaming services, such as Netflix and Spotify;
[...]

The READI Act is support by NCTA – The Internet and Television
Association, the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), the Internet
Association, CTIA – The Wireless Association, and the Wireless
Infrastructure Association.

Due to its bi-partisan co-sponsors and industry support, this bill is
likely to pass.

As I've stated before, I think network emergency alerts should be built
into the underlying smart assistant layer (i.e. apple siri, amazon
echo/fire, roku, google/nest home, etc.) instead of each content
provider or internet provider.