Unable to email anyone from my primary domain name; thanks Google Mail and G Suite.

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 21:32:41 UTC 2019

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 11:41, Joe Klein <joe.klein at mischoice.com> wrote:

[…]

I suspect that by changing your 5321.MailFrom, you changed the signal
> calculus, for now. I bet in a bit, provided that you don’t change any other
> behaviors, that these emails will eventually be rejected too.

Of course.  This is just a tell-tale about sending yourself the output of
crontab runs towards Gmail — apparently, it may result in the whole domain
becoming blacklisted.

[…]

>  This is done by all the big players, but Microsoft is the most aggressive.

Microsoft and Outlook are kind of irrelevant nowadays.  Even the big
enterprise companies are often on G Suite nowadays.

[…]

> Also, free is free. If you pay for G-Suite, then the admin gets a LOT of
> extra bonuses that anyone would expect out of a paid mailbox. I don’t know
> about G-Suites (wouldn’t touch the stuff personally), but you can get a
> O365-hosted exchange mailbox for like $5/month these days with all the
> aliases you need and all the post-processing transport rules you want. In
> line with the paid Microsoft mailbox – an email does not get delivered for
> no reason except in the rarest of cases. The same is not true with the free
> mailboxes hosted by Microsoft or Google.

You're ignoring several issues here:

* First of all, it doesn't seem like acceptance rules are different between
Gmail and G Suite.  TBH, I think that's actually a good thing, because it
means that there's potentially a higher likelihood that if you can see the
message in your own Gmail, then so could your business partners in their G
Suite.

* I am actually not just a free used of Gmail, but a paying customer.
They've tricked me into believing that I'll have unlimited storage space;
yet then the quota stopped growing at 15GB, but my mailing list archives
did not, so, now I'm forced to pay 1,99 USD/mo for continued ability to
receive the mail.

* You're assuming that all those controls within G Suite actually work.
It's been mentioned elsewhere in this thread that they don't actually seem
to work, after all.  See
https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2019-October/103842.html.  Not to
mention that the bigger issue is that G Suite has a pretty good monopoly on
corporate mail nowadays, so, even though I could rather easily abandon my
own Gmail account, I cannot quite stop dealing with other people's G Suite
accounts any time soon.

C.