IPv4 and Auctions

Mike Meredith mike.meredith at port.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 14:01:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 08:18:47 -0400 (EDT), Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> may
have written:
> IP space was handed out to organizations (and even to individuals) long
> before the RIRs like ARIN were created.  Those "assignments" /
> "allocations" (whatever you want to call them) are outside of the control
> of the RIRs because they had no involvement in them.

I don't know about others but "my" SRI-NIC allocation passed to RIPE
control some while back, as a "legacy" (mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-LEGACY-MNT) block.
Although it was fairly easy to predict where it should go.

--
Mike Meredith, University of Portsmouth
Chief Systems Engineer, Hostmaster, Security, and Timelord!