Request comment: list of IPs to block outbound

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 23 15:18:28 UTC 2019

On 10/22/19 11:38 PM, Stephen Satchell wrote:
> So, to the reason for the comment request, you are telling me not
> to blackhole 100.64/10 in the edge router downstream from an ISP as
> a general rule, and to accept source addresses from this netblock.
> Do I understand you correctly?

It depends.

I think that 100.64/10 is /only/ locally significant and would /only/ be
used within your ISP /if/ they use 100.64/10.  If they don't use it,
then you are probably perfectly safe considering 100.64/10 as a Bogon
and treating it accordingly.

Even in ISPs that use 100.64/10, I'd expect minimal traffic to / from
it.  Obviously you'll need to talk to a gateway in the 100.64/10 space.
You /may/ need to talk to DNS servers and the likes therein.  I've not
heard of ISPs making any other service available via CGN Bypass.

That being said, I have heard of CDNs working with ISPs to make CDN
services available via CGN bypass.  My limited experience with that
still uses globally routed IPs on the CDN equipment with custom routing
in the ISPs.  So you still aren't communicating with 100.64/10 IPs
directly.  But my ignorance of CDNs using 100.64/10 doesn't preclude
such from being done.

The simple rules that I've used are:

1)  Don't use 100.64/10 in your own network.  Or if you do, accept the
consequences /if/ it becomes a problem.
2)  Don't filter 100.64/10 /if/ your external IP from your ISP is a
100.64/10 IP.
3)  Otherwise, treat 100.64/10 like a bogon.

> FWIW, I think I've received this recommendation before.  The current
> version of my NetworkManager dispatcher-d-bcp38.sh script has the
> creation of the blackhole route already disabled; i.e., the netblock is
> not quarantined.

I suspect things like NetworkManager are somewhat at a disadvantage in
that they are inherently machine local and don't have visibility beyond
the directly attached network segments.  As such, they can't /safely/
filter something that may be on the other side of a router.  Thus they
play it safe and don't do so.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die