BGP over TLS

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Oct 22 23:04:22 UTC 2019

> On Oct 22, 2019, at 6:31 PM, Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:
>
> I see.  It is an AIC problem, not a CIA problem.  TLS in its default
> usage is a CIA thing because, well, it was designed to solve CIA
> problems where even temporary secrecy is more important than being down
> for a week.  As had been pointed out though, TLS does allow for non-CIA
> configuration and usage such as by using PSK or fingerprint
> authentication.  SSH is also an AIC thing.  It solves the problem by
> recording the fingerprint on first connect and alarming if the
> fingerprint is not subsequently what was expected.  Cannot TLS be
> configured to do the same thing bidirectionally?

I’ve had enough of a problem with the management side of my router w/ SSH(host) keys that imagining trying to scale that to lets say 200 peers at an IXP would make it insane to touch.

In my home network I ended up placing a rule due to how often I would play with embedded devices, eg:

Host 10.0.0.*
   StrictHostKeyChecking no
   UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null

Because each time I have a new device come up with a hostname (eg: raspberrypi.local) I would have to clear out my known hosts file.  This local policy allows me to make this simpler.  I think something like that is really what’s desired, but when was the last time you managed to keep the ssh daemon key on your router when you swap hardware?

The simpler the tools the better.  Things like ACME made it much easier for someone to manage their TLS certs and config.  There’s much to be desired from the management plane of these devices.  No wonder people with scale roll their own code..

Routers haven’t advanced much past the early 90s in sophistication in how you configure them.  We’re still in the late 90s with kickstart techniques and manual patching vs enmasse configuration changes.  I see the limitations on both the technical side and the human side.  Try to tell someone who has been caretaking all the routers to become a sysadmin and watch what happens.

It’s up to us as consumers of the technology to push our vendors for something better.  I can’t have a router reboot itself when you type commit or similar which is still the state of the industry.

- Jared