CenturyLink vs L3 and Enterprise Product Offerings

Nick Bogle nick at bogle.se
Sun Oct 20 21:41:34 UTC 2019

NANOG,

I have been looking into getting an enterprise fiber connection from
Centurylink (original provider at the location was TW Telecom, then L3, now
CenturyLink). When speaking to my rep, he said I had the options listed
below.

Does anyone know the difference between their Consumer Grade, their
Enterprise Grade IQ network, and their Enterprise DIA network?

I am guessing Fiber + Data is CenturyLink backbone delivered over GPON,
Enterprise Data is CenturyLink Enterprise backbone delivered over GPON, and
IQ Data Bundle is CenturyLink backbone delivered over a dedicated pair of
fiber/wavelength/etc, and DIA is L3 backbone delivered over a dedicated
pair of fiber/wavelength/etc?

Fiber + Data only – This is a fiber connection with symmetrical bandwidth
> delivered on a shared fiber facility.  This service connects to our
> consumer grade DSL internet network at our Central office.  Bandwidth
> options 50M, 100M, 500M and 1G
> Fiber + Enterprise Data only – This is a fiber connection with symmetrical
> bandwidth delivered on a shared fiber facility.  The service connects to
> our enterprise grade IQ network at our Central office.  This service has
> BGP capabilities but it is limited by the amount of memory in AdTran 5660
> device that is included with the service.  Bandwidth options 50M, 100M,
> 500M and 1G.
> IQ Data Bundle – This is a fiber connection with symmetrical bandwidth
> delivered on a dedicated fiber facility.  This service connects to our
> enterprise grade IQ network at the Central Office and comes with our
> industry leading SLA’s and 99.999% uptime guarantee.  This service has full
> BGP capabilities with an AdTran 908e that is included with the service.
> Bandwidth options are 10M to 10G.
> Dedicated Internet Access - This is a fiber connection with symmetrical
> bandwidth delivered on a dedicated fiber facility.  This service connects
> our enterprise grade network and comes with our Industry leading SLA’s and
> 99.999% uptime guarantee.  This service can do BGP but the customer will
> need to provide the router as CenturyLink does not include one with this
> service.  Bandwidth options are 10 to 6G.

Thank you!