asymmetric routing issue on microsoft torix ix

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Fri Oct 18 04:49:59 UTC 2019

So, I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb here, though I don't think by much. I wasn't aware, but CANARIE is an NREN, so probably you get cheap/free transit through that, versus some greater transit rate via Shaw.

You can decide your own outbound policy, but you can't really wield that influence over inbound. In some cases maybe the far end network may have incentive to play along and tweak their routing policy, but I somewhat doubt Microsoft would maintain special routing policy just for you.

So you are left with your regular inbound influence bag of tricks, e.g. prepending towards Shaw. If your upstream is a bit more feature-rich they may have some control communities you can use to influence how they advertise your prefixes, but I don't recall Shaw having anything as fine grained as "don't announce to this peer" like you might find on a route server. Prepending is a bit of a bigger hammer, though, as it affects the advertisements to any Shaw peers/customers

Others may chime in with others possible inbound TE tricks, but nothing would beat e.g. getting a port at torix or SIX (you mentioned both) yourself and just peering with Microsoft directly.

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal