Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at sctcweb.com
Wed Oct 16 19:09:45 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 4:26 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 10/14/19 4:16 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Michael Thomas wrote:
> >> Of course this is a lot of conjecture on my part... be glad to be
> >> clued in by folks in know.
> >
> > An old news story, but telco's usually have backup batteries in their
> > outside plant, cell towers, etc.  During power outages, they shuttle
> > small generators between outside cabinets to re-charge the batteries.
> > Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) use local power, i.e. look for the
> > utility meter nearby.  There is often a generator plug and battery
> > cabinet next to the RTU. They aren't powered from the central office.
>
> Interesting! And so primitive! So they go to all of the expense of
> laying fiber, but not power too?

Note: small local telco experience speaking below:

Telco's tend to have experience with fiber, but probably not the
construction and transmission of the sort of power plant that would be
required to keep a bunch of  48V cabinets up and running reliably. We
certainly don't. Besides, an advantage of fiber is that hopefully the
copper thieves won't bother it.

 By definition a remote terminal/cabinet is going to be... remote. Far
more simple to install commercial power, and then haul out a generator
if the battery string in the cabinet appears to be in danger of
dropping below about 46v.

We do run some 360v DC at micro-amp levels out to equipment like ONT's
and remote 12 and 48 port remote VDSLAM's. But that's over existing
24-26 ga. plant. Frequently using multiple pairs to avoid excessive
voltage drop over distances.

Primitive is tested and works.

--
Jeff Shultz
Central Office Technician

--
Like us on Social Media for News, Promotions, and other information!!

<https://www.facebook.com/SCTCWEB/>
<https://www.instagram.com/sctc_503/>
<https://www.yelp.com/biz/sctc-stayton-3>
<https://www.youtube.com/c/sctcvideos>

_**** This message
contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail
from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does
not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. ****_