VDSL

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Oct 16 08:16:15 UTC 2019

On 10/15/19 8:25 PM, Brielle wrote:
> Its actually got pretty heavy use in a lot of CenturyLink areas, like
> here in Boise.  Fiber is only now starting to become the norm, so
> everyone is on VDSL2 in single or bonded modes, speeds all the way up to
> around 50mbit down.

AT&T U-Verse in ex-SBC territories basically was their deployment of
VDSL/VDSL2 back when it was new.  Some installs used bonded ADSL2+ where
they didn't have a node close enough to really get any advantage of VDSL.

These days, it's their catch-all name for anything that isn't classic
ADSL served out of the CO, including their (very limited and apparently
halted) FTTH deployment.  VDSL is still very prevalent.  I'm not in a
territory served by it, but I know plenty of people nearby who are and,
unless you happen to be on a FTTH path (which means you're either in
select MDUs or happen to be on the path they took to get to one), you're
getting VDSL2 if you call them up and order U-Verse Internet service.

They deliver up to 100Mbps with pair-bonded VDSL2 assuming you're close
enough to the node.
--
Brandon Martin