Video Streaming Wars

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Oct 15 17:53:37 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-10-15 at 17:12 +0000, Rod Beck wrote:
> https://www.lightreading.com/video/ott/whats-at-stake-as-the-streaming-battle-builds-/d/d-id/754841?
> [
> https://img.lightreading.com/2019/10/754841/3383.jpg]<https://www.lightreading.com/video/ott/whats-at-stake-as-the-streaming-battle-builds-/d/d-id/754841
> ?>
> What's at Stake as the Streaming Battle Builds | Light Reading<
> https://www.lightreading.com/video/ott/whats-at-stake-as-the-streaming-battle-builds-/d/d-id/754841
> ?>
> Netflix, Amazon and Hulu have staked out their turf in the
> subscription VoD market, but will they be able to hold that coveted
> ground as Disney, Apple, WarnerMedia and NBCU enter the streaming
> fray?
> www.lightreading.com

The video streaming wars are this years version of last years cable
channel bundling.  Everyone knows the game the cablecos play where they
bundle 14 channels of crap with one channel that people actually want
and because it's 15 channels, hey, well that's going to cost
$20.99/mo., you know, because you are getting 15 channels!  Oh, no,
sorry, no way to get just that one channel you want for just it's cost.
You need to buy all 15.

How many streaming services is the average consumer going to have to
start subscribing to for $10-20/mo. each to get all of the content they
want?

Or, as I (and I am sure others have) predict(ed), while consumers were
willing to pay a modest amount of money for a streaming service or two
to get all of the content they wanted, consumers are going to reject
the skyrocketing costs of the streaming fragmentation and go back to
the same solution they had for the high costs of cable channel
bundling.  Welcome back piracy.

Cheers,
b.