VDSL

Phil Lavin phil.lavin at cloudcall.com
Tue Oct 15 17:48:53 UTC 2019

> I discovered that the Budapest cable company was using VDLS to provide services up to 500 megs into the buildings where my flats are located. VDSL is a pretty old standard. I recollect people talking about it back in 1998.

> Is it being heavily deployed in Last Mile networks state side?

DSL on the whole seems pretty unpopular in the USA. VDSL itself is a fairly old standard but it's been enhanced over the years to provide bandwidths up to 300mbit on a single twisted copper pair, albeit over relatively short distances.

DSL (these days, specifically VDSL2) is extremely popular and widely used within the UK because almost every home has a single twisted pair going into it for a POTS phone line. It made sense to run services over this than to re-cable 25 million homes. A (very) slow FTTH rollout is under way but what seems to be getting more traction is a rollout of G.Fast which currently boasts speeds of up to 500mbit over short distances (< 100m), still on a single twisted copper pair. This may be what you're getting as VDSL2 won't push to 500mbit over any sensible distance.

I can only speculate on why they decided to use DSL in your building - if it has legacy POTS infrastructure to each apartment, it would make some sense. If not, who knows...