Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Tue Oct 15 14:50:47 UTC 2019

On 10/15/2019 09:42, Matt Hoppes wrote:
> I disagree with the statement that providers should not be required to
> backup their networks.... while I don't think it should be an FCC
> requirement, I do believe the providers have an obligation to do that.
>
> That's one of the reasons we generally opt for larger node sizes. Yes,
> it does cut down on the total bandwidth you can push out to end users,
> but in a disaster its much faster to recover as well as provide backup
> power that is up 24x7 vs hundreds of little nodes.

I'm generally OK with the provider pushing demarc CPE backup power off
onto the customer unless they're providing "POTS-like" service.  Aside
from POTS, I don't think there's ever been expectation of
telecommunications services working during a power outage unless the end
user provides backup power.  I'm not even sure residential deployments
of ISDN came with power for customer-prem ATAs, etc. unless you made
special arrangements, but ISDN was never popular here, so I'm not sure.
If you have a T1 PRI, the LEC will probably keep it up to your prem, but
you're responsible for keeping whatever you're plugging that T1 into up
during a power outage.  Heck, they may not even do that.  I've certainly
seen T1 smartjacks hosting real, honest PRIs that were line-powering
repeaters without battery on them, so who knows even in that case.

After all, the user has to keep the equipment they're using up, too.
That's certainly not the provider's responsibility.  Telcos aren't power
utilities (usually, and when they are it's generally a separate
operation).  Yes, I understand that many users have wireless/portable
in-home equipment with batteries of their own and are often using
all-in-one demarc/routers provided by their provider, nowadays...

I do think that providers should generally at least offer some basic
guidance on how their users might accomplish this even going so far as
to provide, install, and maintain such means if paid to do so, but I
don't think it's something to be expected when you're buying cable TV or
public Internet access service.  Again, POTS-like service is different.

I do feel that modern IP providers really should strive to keep their
end of the network up regardless.  That is, even during a reasonable
power outage, providers should be able to deliver usable signal to their
customers absent actual damage to plant.  Exceptions made for natural
disasters, fuel shortages, and widespread, extended power outages that
just overcome the ability to shuttle portable gensets around fast enough
to keep batteries charged.  However, unless you're otherwise subject to
regulation due to monopoly status, having received ample amounts of
build-out subsidy, or providing historically regulated
telecommunications services, I'm not sure that regulation is the best
way to achieve this.

--
Brandon Martin