Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Oct 15 01:11:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019, Michael Thomas wrote:
> deal with the CPE, that the cable plant was the actual problem. The cable
> companies should, imo, be held to the same standard as the telcos. Maybe even
> moreso these days since IP has taken over everything. The need for reliable
> e911 hasn't gone away just because the bits have turned into IP bit these
> days.

Oh, but they are equal.  The telco's went to the regulators and got the
FCC and state PUCs to reduce or make backup power a customerresponsbility...
Just like the cable companies.

So now they are equal -- in the race to the bottom.

Service providers must "OFFER" customers an OPTION for 8/24-hour standby
backup power.  The decision to puchase backup power is up to the customer.
I assume you read the fine print on the back of your bill or the order
terms (subject to change at anytime, without notice).

The FCC is looking at standby power for cellular towers, but hasn't
been paying attention to wireline and cable systems outside plant power.

As I mentioned a few postings ago, cellular/wireless systems have been
getting more resiliant.  Wireline/cable systems have been getting less
reliable.