Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Oct 15 00:26:38 UTC 2019

On 10/14/19 4:39 PM, Brandon Martin wrote:

> All the conventional telcos are far more focused on keeping voice
> service alive since they get raked over the coals by the FCC if it
> drops due to lack of 911.  That includes wireless if they are both a
> wireline and wireless operator.  Interestingly, VoIP service delivered
> to the customer as such (even if there's an ATA built into the
> customer's "modem") often gets a pass on this since it's not
> considered POTS.  Same goes for SLA'd business services, too
> especially T1s since those may host regulated voice.

So when we were working on this 20 years ago at Cisco, there was a
tremendous amount of effort to deal with the issue of e911 and generally
battery backup. I'm really surprised to hear that though we went through
a lot of effort to deal with the CPE, that the cable plant was the
actual problem. The cable companies should, imo, be held to the same
standard as the telcos. Maybe even moreso these days since IP has taken
over everything. The need for reliable e911 hasn't gone away just
because the bits have turned into IP bit these days.

Mike