Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Lyle lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Tue Oct 15 00:02:27 UTC 2019

All true telco equipment is powered by batteries.  Commerical power or
generators just recharge the batteries.  No switch over when commerical
power is lost. Except when the generators(where equiped) switch over to
recharge the batteries.

Comcast and telcos do not put batteries in all remote powered
terminals.  I have an Enterprise grade Ethernet over coax connection.
The headend it's distributed from doesn't have batteries.  If it loses
power, doesn't matter if I have power or a generator or ups to take
over.  This Internet connection goes down.

For telcos(when I worked there), they usually had batteries that would
last 4 to 8 hrs at remote terminals with powered equipment. And a
connection for a splice crew to come out and connect their generator to
it for power in case of an extended outage.  Back then that was also how
most cell phone towers were outfited.

I also have some knowledge of the commerical power grid in my local
area.  It's not unheard of for the Comcast headend to lose power but my
office doesn't.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.