Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Oct 12 21:49:24 UTC 2019

In article <c4faaa6b-b6d0-0452-470f-cd37076a91fe at monmotha.net> you write:
>On 10/11/19 9:43 PM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
>How distributed is the power on a typical HFC system in practice?  I'm
>sure I'm missing some of them, but having walked out most of a small-ish
>(~2000 residences) city recently for a FTTx deployment, I think I only
>saw 2-3 power nodes on Comcast's plant.

I spend too much time looking up at the power lines while walking the
dog and around here, Spectrum ex-Roadrunner, on just about every block
I see something on the cable plant with an electric meter.  I can't
tell how many are amplifiers and how many are fiber to coax adapters.
None have any evident batteries although I suppose there might be some
in the cabinets.

My current phone and Internet service is FTTH from the local RLEC.
The box they installed here is powered from a 12v UPS and I'm
reasonably sure there are no active components between here and the CO
since it's only 1/4 mile away, so I'll be interested to see how it
does when the power goes out.