California public safety power shutdowns

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Oct 10 15:34:44 UTC 2019

Electrical arcing happens around the country. The difference is that California, through years of unwise restrictions on vegetation control, has millions of acres of dry fuel near these powerlines.

In the early 1990s, a series of restrictions were placed on logging in the West to protect the Spotted Owl. As it turned out, nature was more complicated than expected, with owl numbers continuing to decline—even after the California timber harvest plummeted— reportedly due to predation from other raptors. It’s not easy to manipulate Mother Nature :)

In the meantime, tree harvests fell below the growth rate in the 1990s, to now one-tenth of what it was in 1988 on Federal lands. Thus the enormous spike in fuel, that is the primary driver behind the massive fires.

Those of us who operate data facilities, such as radio vaults, on California mountaintops, have dealt with this problem as a growing threat over decades. I have antennas with melted radomes just from the radiant fire heat a half mile away. We’re constantly fighting the government to control vegetation overgrowth around our sites, and are often prevented from doing so.

 -mel