California public safety power shutdowns

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Oct 10 06:02:59 UTC 2019

Radu,

The fire risk is from electrical transmission lines, not from end users of electrical power. The underlying problem is that the State’s rules for line separation were ill-considered, making it possible for high-enough winds to cause “line slapping” and the resultant arcing that ignite fires.

There is no reason to think that end users are of any particular risk, and fuel delivery during a preemptive outage wouldn’t be impaired, because roads will remain open. So, nobody need pretend anything. It’s just business as usual, until a fire actually starts.

 -mel