worse than IPv6 Pain Experiment

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 9 22:38:41 UTC 2019

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 17:43:00 -0400, bzs at theworld.com said:

> URLs are an obvious candidate to consider because they're in use, seem
> to basically work to identify routing endpoints, and are far from a
> random, out of thin air, choice.

So explain in detail how a router gets from "URL" to "which interface to send the
packet on".  Include in your discussion how anycast works, and how to deal with
things like www.google.com, which currently uses DNS and geolocation so not
every host on the internet has the same view of what server(s) to contact.

Problem example:  My employer moved something from a 128.173/16 address
to a 198.82/16 address without changing the name.  How would your scheme
address the fact that the routing may have changed, when the URL/hostname remains
the same?

Hint:  If URLS or hostnames actually identified routing endpoints, we'd not have DNS.