California public safety power shutdowns

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Oct 9 21:06:32 UTC 2019

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, Sean Donelan wrote:
> - Will this affect cellphone service?
>[...]
> Remember, Cable and DSL VOIP and in-home wireless phones need electric power
> to operate.  There are fewer and fewer copper-fed POTS lines with power from
> the telephone central office.

Thanks to the person for correcting me.  If you use WiFi or Pico-cell
repeaters in your home or office building for mobile phone service, they
will likely not work during power shut-offs.

I was referring only to cellular service from cell towers on you mobile
phones and mobile devices.

Non-experts in RF cellular technology may not always know which
transmission technology their cell phone is using at any particular
location.  The mobile phone will usually switch to other avaiable signals.
But you might be using a pico-cell or repeater in a building because there
are no other cellular signals.

In those cases, you won't have cellphone service.