IPv6 Pain Experiment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 9 20:58:53 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 12:38 PM <bzs at theworld.com> wrote:
> On October 8, 2019 at 12:04 bill at herrin.us (William Herrin) wrote:
>  > On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 12:01 PM <bzs at theworld.com> wrote:
>  >     My main point is, as I said, Bits is Bits, whether they're human
>  >     readable (for some value of "human") like URLs or long hex strings
>  >     which perhaps are less human readable.
>  >
>  > Bits aren't just bits. Bits with useful properties (such as
aggregability which
>  > coincides with the routing structure) are better bits.
>
> Yet somehow we manage to start with URLs (for example.)

URLs have lots of useful properties. None of them facilitate network
routing but they facilitate lots of other useful stuff.

> My point is whatever is used it can be mapped to something perhaps
> more efficient given some design goals, such as the DNS does. And for
> that matter route lookup tables w/in routers.

Mapped by who? The genius of the Internet's design lies in its answer to
that question: the end to end principle. The end to end principle says that
the endpoints (not middleboxes) should resolve those mappings so that the
middleboxes need not manage abstractions.

Packet switching is just fancy statistical multiplexing of a
circuit-switched network... until you remove stateful management of the
connections from the data path and keep it on the endpoints. Then it's more.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin