IPv6 Pain Experiment

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 9 19:36:27 UTC 2019

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 12:08 , bzs at theworld.com wrote:
>

> On October 8, 2019 at 23:51 owen at delong.com (Owen DeLong) wrote:
> (responding to my P.S.)
>
>>    P.S. My prediction?
>>
>>    The world's major telcos et al, having had enough of various problems,
>>    from address exhaustion to non-stop security disasters, and the
>>    chaotic responses, propose and begin implementing an alternative. And
>>    that won't be through the IETF or similar.
>>

>> I tend to doubt it.
>>
>> While I don’t discount what you say about telcos below, the thing to remember
>> is that insisted that VOIP would never displace TDM in the average enterprise.
>>
>> When was the last time you saw a business phone system using TDM and not
>> IP phones?
>
> Sorry, I was referring to telcos as the major so-called "tier 1" and
> long line providers, the cell phone service providers (along with the
> likes of comcast but there aren't many like that), and in many
> countries the monopoly providers of the whole, pardon the expression,
> cloud of comm services, rather than their voice function which has
> largely become just another app.

I wasn’t talking about voice specifically either, other than to cite it as an
example proving that they don’t always guess or bet right, even with the
big capitalization and government embedded infrastructure.

> First they (the collective group I describe) honestly believe they can
> manage large-scale engineering projects w/o the help of a lot of
> volunteers beyond /fait accompli/ -- please stamp this new technology
> we collectively have agreed to as a "standard". Compare and contrast
> 5G for example.

Yeah, it’s going to be very interesting to watch whether 5G turns into anything
beyond an incredible money sink.

> Second are the liability issues. They may generally manage to escape
> direct liability e.g. for business damage due to address exhaustion or
> security problems etc but insurance companies, banks, et al, can't and
> those are big players with sway over the "telcos" to do something
> about services they are paying collectively many billions per month
> for and incurring damages from.

No question there are interesting times ahead.

Owen