IPv6 Pain Experiment

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 9 06:51:10 UTC 2019

>> I’m betting that not all of the WWW addresses go to the same ASN.
>
> Perhaps you have noticed in your vast travels that domain names'
> significance is generally read right to left not left to right like IP
> addresses?

Sure, but I’m betting that trying to aggregate routing around COM. would be
just as tricky as trying to aggregate it around WWW.

> P.S. My prediction?
>
> The world's major telcos et al, having had enough of various problems,
> from address exhaustion to non-stop security disasters, and the
> chaotic responses, propose and begin implementing an alternative. And
> that won't be through the IETF or similar.

I tend to doubt it.

While I don’t discount what you say about telcos below, the thing to remember
is that insisted that VOIP would never displace TDM in the average enterprise.

When was the last time you saw a business phone system using TDM and not
IP phones?

Owen