IPv6 Pain Experiment

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Oct 8 19:35:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 19:12:30 -0000, Nicholas Warren said:

> Sweet deals, would you kindly share your vendor?

Well, I just type "128G DIMM" into google, and the very first hit tells me that I can
get a 128G DIMM for $1,398, that and 8 DiMM slots gets me to 1T just over $11K.

If I have 16 DIMM slots like a decent server-class board should have, I can do 64G cards
for $308 and I'm done for under $5k.

I didn't dig further, because I already had evidence to support the claim:

> It's not 1990 any more, a TB of RAM now costs a few thousand dollars
> and is dropping rapidly (similar for fancy router RAM)

> processor chips with 64 cores available practically off the shelf for
> under $10K (32-core literally off the shelf, try any Microcenter),

AMD 32-core Ryzen Threadripper is $1,799.   Find a 2-socket motherboard and
you're at 64 cores for well under $5K for the chipsets.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx/p/N82E16819113541