IPv6 Pain Experiment

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Tue Oct 8 09:29:40 UTC 2019

Owen DeLong wrote:

>> Separation between address and port is vague.
>
> Explain that to ICMP packets.

Why do you think ICMP any different?

Just as usual IP packets, inner IP packets contained in
ICMPv4 error packets contain port numbers just after IP headers.

Moreover, unlike stupid ICMPv6, ICMPv4 error packets are
guaranteed to contain 8B of inner packet payload (enough
for 32 bit port number) after IP header.

>>> If we're going to replace TCP and UDP, initiate
>>> the link with a name (e.g. dns name),
>>
>> The point of TCP use IP address for identification is hosts
>> can confirm IP address is true by 3 way handshaking.
>
> And UDP?

Applications over UDP may or may not confirm by 3 way
handshaking or some other mechanism.

That's UDP.

That's very elementary explanations on ICMP and UDP.

					Masataka Ohta