This DNS over HTTP thing

Kevin McCormick kmccormick at mdtc.net
Mon Oct 7 18:47:15 UTC 2019

So a malicious or rogue DNS operator... 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 is going to tell your application to use the locally configured DNS for domain lookups rather give an normal response? Not sure how this malice would really affect you as your local DNS should be functional. The idea to make DoH and DoT, or even unencrypted DNS with external DNS servers play nicely with environments that require internal users to local DNS for local domains.

The point is having a record to tell severs like 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 when they should not respond normally to specific clients from a specific source for specific domains.

You will always have malicious cases and scenarios, but a browser configured to use DoH or Dot to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8, I do not see how they would be affected when they do use DNSSEC.

Worst case would a user configured network DNS manually rather than using DHCP, but still they would be broken as the would be getting a non-working external address for a local server.

Thank you,

Kevin McCormick