dns cache beyond ttl - viasat / exede

Brielle bruns at 2mbit.com
Mon Oct 7 17:13:50 UTC 2019

On 10/7/2019 10:08 AM, Mike wrote:
>         I am wondering if perhaps this is due to some kind of (known?)
> bug in the embedded dns cache/client in the client satellite modem, or
> if there is another plausible explanation I am not seeing. It compounds
> my problem slightly since I have to continue running the web sites at
> both the old and new addresses while these things time out I guess and
> it's just inconvenient.

 From experience with Wildblue and a few other Sat internet providers
when I did wilderness ranch installs, I can tell you that those modems
do lots of weird fuckery with packets.

* Intercepting DNS packets and doing caching like what you are describing

* Responding to three way handshake before the other end actually does
(nmap -sT remote host ends up with every port being 'open' but closing
connection right away)

* Hijacking http and https connections and sending them through a
tunneling proxy or caching proxy.

* Multiple layers of NAT

Due to the RTT being so high, the providers do everything in their power
to make it seem like you aren't on as an agonizingly slow connection as
you are.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org