IPv6 Pain Experiment

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Mon Oct 7 07:03:45 UTC 2019

On 10/7/2019 2:03 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
>
>> I've been ignoring this discussion because I feel this ship sailed
>> many years ago, and IPv6, like it or hate it, is the best way
>> forward we have.
>
> A problem is that there is a cliff edge in front of you.

Likewise for spam filtering - spam filtering would be knocked back to
the stone ages if IPv4 disappeared overnight. IPv6 is a spam sender's
dream come true, since IPv6 DNSBLs are practically worthless. Yes, there
are OTHER filtering techniques, but none that scale nearly so much with
as extremely little resources required. And this is a problem for large
and small organizations. Even the very largest email systems would be
extremely disrupted if IPv4 DNSBLs (internal and/or 3rd party) were not
available within the very near future. Solutions to this problem would
then severely disrupt their business/financial models for those mail
systems since the overhead costs per mailbox would significantly increase.

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com