IPv6 Pain Experiment

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sun Oct 6 21:47:24 UTC 2019

On October 6, 2019 at 16:35 jhellenthal at dataix.net (J. Hellenthal) wrote:
 > And in which part of the header is this to be added ?

I assume you mean the additional address. The IHL provides for up to
60 bytes of IP header length. 20 bytes is needed for the usual IPv4
header so an additional 40 bytes are available or 20 bytes for each of
source and destination, adding the 4 bytes already present that's 24
bytes for each of source and destination or a theoretical total of 192
bits of (each) source and dest address.

All a strictly IPv4 only host/router would need to understand in that
case is the IHL, which it does already, and how to interpret whatever
flag/option is used to indicate the presence of additional address
bits mostly to ignore it or perhaps just enough to know to drop it if
it's not implemented.

--
        -Barry Shein