IPv6 Pain Experiment

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Oct 3 18:35:11 UTC 2019

On 10/2/19 15:03, Naslund, Steve wrote:
> In my experience, the biggest hurdle to installing a pure IPv6 has
> nothing to do with network gear or network engineers.  That stuff I
> expect to support v6.  This biggest hurdle is the dumb stuff like
> machinery interfaces, surveillance devices, the must have IP interface
> on such and such of an obsolete appliance, etc.  The dumb legacy app
> that supports the ancient obsolete pen plotter that we must keep
> forever, etc.

Using the plotter example, why is it obsolete and must be replaced if it
still works? It's a waste of money to dump fully functional hardware
because software. The argument to justify its replacement needs to be
something along the lines of the new plotter will output faster and save
X hours a day which is equal to Y hours of time over a year. Not that
the new one supports IPv6 and yeah that's about it. Oh the new one also
supports TLSv1.3 to make sure your plots can't be intercepted by your
cube neighbor as you walk across the office.